Thursday, December 18, 2008

It's ALL About Love

No, this is not a rehash of the lovely, easy-listening ,songbird Sade. It is in fact a statement about what I am growing to believe is the the true secret to success. A confession, when I started my career, my insecurity coupled with a dysfunctional work environment, resulted in my operating in a constant state of fear. From that place of fear, I could not get out of the behavior patterns of being outwardly tough, sometimes even mean and vengeful. I still think about the people with whom I worked to whom I still owe apologies for being such a bitch. But what I learned from those three years was that operating from fear and projecting confidence while not having any is an unsustainable modus operandi. I quit that job and took some time to refocus and renew myself. In some ways it felt like starting over, and in other ways, once I had accepted that I had to work on myself so that I could free myself from the shackles of fear, the universe opened up for me. I got great work as a freelancer with really good organizations working to make the world a better place. As time went on, I learned how to lead from below instead of the traditional top-down corporate model. I learned that compassion aided any negotiations. I learned that when I could find the energy to operate from love, I felt fed, full of integrity, powerful, free.

Discussed on Charles Henderson's blog www.nextworlddesign.com is the LeWeb conference about web 2.0. The theme is LOVE. "As explained by conference co-founder and organizer Loic Le Meur, the gathering is not about technology, business, or even social networking, 'It's all about love.' Embedded in his remarks is the weighty claim that the web itself, together with human community, commerce and, yes, spirituality, all center around love."

So what does this mean? If each person on the planet operated with more generosity of spirit towards their colleagues, towards strangers, towards themselves, we all would benefit. Let's all confront our fears and start loving ourselves by loving one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment